Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Lord Edgware Dies!

This week I have chose to read a "Lord Edgware Dies" by Agathe Christie. As the title entails, a character called lord Edgware is killed. I have so far read 89/241 pages. At this point in the plot, Hercule Poirot the main detective is in his stage of interviews. Very often this can consist of the bulk of the book. At this point in the book I feel like I am learning things but am not getting anything conclusive, but it makes one want to read on into the grand reveal. I chose this reading on Saturday when I was bored and just looked for books to read on my kindle. I browsed through many until I found this book. I hadn't read it yet so I began to read. The unknown word I encountered was : Histrionic. It was on page 43 and it is in the context "First she gives you her conception of how the part of a wife suddenly learning of her husbands death should be played. Then having satisfied her histrionic instinct, her native shrewdness makes her send for a solicitor". I also decided to research a little more and found a psychiatric case called HPD or histrionic personality disorder. It appears that people with this are overly dramatic, and always want to be the center of attention.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a very interesting mystery book by what you are telling us so far.

    ReplyDelete