Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hush Hush - Main Conflict

Kiara Andjelkov
Hush Hush
Becca Fitzpatrick
400/400

             Hush Hush, is a book built on conflicts. Without these prominently occurring conflicts the book would portray a perfect life, Utopia. One of the main conflicts though is that Nora, one of the main characters, feels very conflicted about patch. She ponders whether she can trust him or not. She even reaches the point where she has to battle the feeling of dislike. Throughout the book Nora struggles with this problem as there is a question always in the back of her mind, is Patch dangerous? But as time slowly goes by she lowers her guard, which is when she truly becomes in danger. Later in the book she finds out Patch's secret which makes her go back to her conflicted place. She has a internal conflict since she is debating whether she can trust Patch, but she also has an external conflict with him as shown in this text from the book:

“I want the truth,” I said, struggling not to cry. “Did you come to school to kill me? Was that your aim right from the start?” A muscle in Patch’s jaw jumped. 

“Yes”I swiped a tear that dared escape.

 “Are you gloating inside? That’s what this is about, isn’t it? Getting me to trust you so you could blow it up in my face” I knew I was being irrationally irate. I should have been terrified and frantic. I should have been doing everything to escape. The most irrational part of all was that I still didn’t want to believe he would kill me, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t smother that illogical speck of trust.

“I get that you’re angry-,” said Patch

“I am ripped apart!” I shouted. 

(Hush, Hush. Becca Fitzpatrick. P. 301)


In the quote above it is very clear that Patch and Nora are having a conflict. And it is clearly a big one since they are having a discussion about whether he is going to kill her or not. Although, despite the fact that he wants to kill her she still is conflicted about whether to trust him or not since he hasn't killer her until now. She is not just fighting with him but herself as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment