Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
Number of pages: 168
Number of pages read: 47

Since I am done with my fantasy book that I was reading for my book report, I will write about the book we are reading in class called "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.
So far, I have read 6 chapters of "The Giver" and this book seems very interesting. This story takes place in a community where everything is the same and very organized: people don't see colors, their job is chosen for them at the age of twelve, they are "released" when they are old or if they break rules. A boy named Jonas is the main character of this book. He lives with his assigned parents and his younger sister Lily. Jonas is an 11 (11 years old) when the book starts and is to become a 12 during the December ceremony. The 12th Ceremony would be the last ceremony for him and this is also when the Assignment (job)  for each person is chosen. Jonas is uncertain of what Assignment he will get, which is why he is feeling apprehensive. Meanwhile, he is starting to see glimpses of the color red on certain objects. Overall, I think that this book is going to be interesting because I have read a few books by this author and I liked them. 

Unknown word: Chastisement 
Sentence: "It was a minor rule, rather like rudeness, punishable only by gentle chastisement." 
Definition: verbal punishment.



1 comment:

  1. I also find this book interesting even if i have read it before it is still very interesting. Nice word

    ReplyDelete