Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Немили-Недраги


 

Title: Немили-Недраги (Dumb - friendless)
Author: Иван Вазов (Ivan Vazov)
Number of pages: 128

Немили - Недраги (Dumb - friendless) is a novel by Ivan Vazov and it's one of the earliest examples of modern Bulgarian literature . Even today it is among the most popular works of its era and it takes place in a traditional Bulgarian education.
The novel presents the life of the Bulgarian revolutionary emigration in the years just before the liberation. The novel is recommended for 11th grade. Since I am only 7th grade and the novel is written in 1883, there are lots of words that we don't use today and I don't really understand some of them. However, for most of the words there is an explanation at the end of the page. I have watched the movie last year and I can remember that it's really old and you can't hear most of the words. 
One of the words that I didn't know is:
йерархически (in English: hierarchical) 
In Bulgarian  it means something ordered by size.

На една страна, въз една висока усамотена и измокрена полѝца, стоеха йерархически наредени чашите и шулците. (Вазов, 29)
On one side, on the high and solitary wet shelf, stood hierarchically ordered glasses and crocks for wine. (Vazov, 29) 

There are three old words in this sentence.  - полѝца (shelf), йерархически (hierarchically), шулците (crocks for wine) ...
Can you imagine how many old words are in this novel?! ........

I am sorry if I made some mistakes in this blog post but it's really hard to translate these old Bulgarian words when I don't know their meaning in Bulgarian.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog post and i really like that you are reading Bulgarian book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nikola. Your blog post was great and you used great words and you did a great job explaining the sentences. I also like that you are reading in Bulgarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree woth Lana and Nikola. This was a nice blog post, and I really liked that it was on bulgarian, good job Gabi! Keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete