Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Iliad by Homer

I have just started the book and have barely understood anything about it, but I'm progressing on somehow. I thought at first I will admit that I thought that the Iliad was the same thing as the Odyssey because it was by the same author, Homer. This may seem like a pretty silly thought, especially that I thought since I read the book first time in Serbian. But I have chose a challenging thing, since this book is based on the gods, and the fight between the Greeks and the city of Troy. This was a bloody war, as far as I understood, and all because of the most beautiful girl at that time, Helen. Helen was stolen by the Prince of Troy, Paris, because he loved her, but she had no wish to stay with him. Menelaus, her previous husband declared war to retrieve her. So far, the Greeks had had enough of war and they really wanted to return home to their children and wives, where they would be happy and safe. The soldiers were all led by gods that were either against the Trojans or the Greeks, it really depended on who the gods liked better. This is very interesting thing, because the gods being immortal, can get wounded, but are able to protect any soldier they like, and they were able to fight with them as if they were a part of the world. That's how far I came to, but I will continue reading and hopefully I will be able to understand more.

No comments:

Post a Comment