Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Frankenstein #2

Tittle: Frankenstein w/ SAT vocabulary words + definitions
Author: Mary Shelley
Pages: 227/ 429

The protagonist, is Victor Frankenstein, while the antagonist is the creature Victor made, right before he realized what he had done.
Frankenstein s Creature: As any monster in any story, he is described as ugly and of a demolished look, he is also described to be about 8 feet tall. In the part of the book, that I am reading currently, readers get to know more of Frankenstein s Creature. They meet on the mountains, and Frankenstein exclaims how horrible his life has begun ( Victor believes his younger brother was killed by the monster, and feels guilty because an inniscant girl is suffering for his mistakes), he contentiously keeps repeating this concept, while challenging the monster into a deadly fight, but the monster becomes selfless though fair and judgmental at the same time; " I expected this reception, all men hate the wretched; how then must i be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things? Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou are bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us. You purpose to kill me. How dare you sport thus with life? Do your duty towards me, and I will do mine towards you and the rest of mankind. If you will comply with my conditions, I will leave them and you with peace, but if you refuse, I will glut the maw of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends". Clearly, Frankenstein agreed and so the monster told him the story, explaining him to how he had starved and acquired impressions of the world, how he experimented with cooking different foods, created fire, and survived. He then told Frankenstein a story of how he saw a house, and saw how a brother and sister cared for their sick father, working everyday non-top, not leaving food for themselves, but giving it to the sick man, how they would read under the fire and speak. He became passionate about these things and aspired to learn them, he also talked about how he helped them, revealing that he was concerned, hard working, and not a monster after all (I did not finish the chapter where he describes his journey).
Victor Frankenstein: His physical creatures are not described very much in the story, for all the readers know for sure is that he is around the age of 20, because he goes to college, but other than that not much. When he goes to university he chooses a magor is science. And as the year passes, he finds out to be capable of bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, after hard work he creates a creature and right after the creature opens his eyes, Victor realizes that what he had done was indescribably horrible, he had in his opinion created a monster. He runs away, and his life falls apart his brother is murdered, and he can only blame himself for he believes that his monster had caused this death, and an inniscant girl that loved the baby more than anything is condemned to life of solitude, but as he realizes he is too; " Nothing is more painful to the human mind, than after the feelings have been worked up by a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainty which follows, and deprives the soul both of hope and fear. Justine died; she rested, and I was alive. The blood flowed freely in my veins, but a weight of despair and remorse pressed on my heart, which nothing could remove. Sleep f;ed from my eyes, i wandered like an evil spirit, for I had committed deeds of mischief beyond description, Yet my heart overflowed, with kindness and the love of virtue. I had begun life with benevolent intentions, and thirsted for the moment, of when I should put them in practice, and make myself useful for my fellow beings. Now all was blasted; instead of that serenity of conscience, which allowed me to look back on the past with self satisfaction, and from thence to gather promises of new hope, I was seized by remorse and the sense of guilt, which hurried me away to hell of intense tortures, such as no language can describe."  And so, personally I think Victor was very passionate about science, happy and aspiring into the world, but he was also very unprepared for something bad happening, his brothers death, followed by Justines death led him to quick assumptions of himself and his life, and he lost all that he was and became so consumed in his doom that he cant function anymore.

Quotes are in Bold Pictures: From the original Movie
   


No comments:

Post a Comment