Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gathering Blue #3


The book I am reading is the second book from "The Giver Quartet" written by Lois Lowry. This book has 241 pages and I finished reading the whole book. 

In this book, there are some conflicts that the main character, Kira had to overcome. She has a twisted leg, which slows her down a bit and that is one of the main challenges for her. 


Kira's first goal was  to defend herself from the antagonist, Vandara because she wanted to take her land; since her mom died and her dad was taken by "beasts". Vandara also wanted to take Kira to “The Field”, where they will leave someone to die there or let them taken by “beasts” but Vandara couldn't do that. Kira had to defend her self in the Counsil of Edifice.


"Your space is gone. It's mine now. those saplings are mine." Lowry 15 (Vandara)


At the Council of Edifice, Kira defended herself along with her defender, Jamison. In the end, she got a job to finish the “Singer’s Robe”. The singer will wear the robe every year at the gathering and it must be repaired. That was her next goal. Kira had to go to a women, Anabella to learn more about dying plants and the colors. 


"The orphan girl Kira will stay. She will have a new role." Lowry 48 (Cheif Guardian)


"You must come here each day. Your must learn all the plants." Lowry 81 (Anabella)


"For the first time I present the Robe-threader, the designer of the future." Lowry 179 (Cheif Guardian)


Later in the book, Anabella dies and this is another obstacle because Kira cannot read (women are not allowed). The Carver Thomas, who also lives in the Council of Edifice building helped her memorize the plants needed. They also tried helping a little girl, Jo the future singer since both of her parents were gone. 


"I could write the names for you, Kira," Lowry 88 (Thomas)


Kira needed blue for the robe and Matt, a tyke helped her found it in a community where people were disabled and also injured. Matt surprised Kira by finding her the blue and also her dad, Christopher who had terrible eye sight. He told how he was almost killed, a long time ago before Kira was born, by a man named Jamison...


"Kira...I'm your father." Lowry 198 (Christopher)


"My eyes were destroyed and I was almost delirious with pain." Lowry 202 (Christopher)


"Jamison is the one who tried to kill me." Lowry 208 (Christopher)


If I were to be in the same situation as Kira, I would be really sad that my parents would be gone and for someone to take my space and burn my house but I think that it would be kind of fun to finish the robe because it seems really interesting. It would be just a little trouble to go around the community because of the twisted leg but I really like Kira because she is a hard worker and she never gives up. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment