Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Requiem Blog Post #3

Blog Post #3
Lauren Oliver
400/470

            The conflict in Requiem has been Lena and the other Invalids against the DFA. (Deliria Free America) What I find frustrating, is that this book never really proposed a conclusion. The Invalids are going to take down one city at a time, so they can create a new country where loving is legal. The Invalids go to Portland and attack. Their goal is not to harm the citizens, but to show that there are more Invalids in the Wilds than they think, and that they are strong. In Portland they start taking down the walls around the city, (meant to keep Cureds in, and Invalids out) and then all of a sudden the book ends. You are left with a feeling of what just happened...? The characters have faith in that they are going to win, but I mean Portland is only one of thousands of cities, and Portland isn't even one of the biggest cities. Sure, they take over one city, but what about the others? Do they succeed in the end? But Lauren Oliver won't say a word. (which is why I cried when I finished the book.) Okay, maybe I got a little melodramatic there. The leaders of America have lied to everyone. They have changed all the songs and the stories. Citizens think that Adam and Eve were thrown out of heaven because they were in love. I'm not sure how I would have handled this situation. Though I wish it was different, I would probably believe every word the DFA said and live safely inside a city for my entire life. I wouldn't be brave enough to step outside, which I why I love this book. Lena is brave enough to step outside.

"I wonder where she will be once we begin to pour into Portland: the cast-out children, the prodigal sons, like the angels described in The Book of Shh who were thrown out of heaven for harboring the disease, expelled by an angry God." (Oliver 365)



No comments:

Post a Comment