Search This Blog

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare | What I read this weekend

Hi everyone! 
Okay this weekend I started a book that I checked out on friday from the library, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. I was also reading another book, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, this week, which I am enjoying immensely. Anyway, I chose to write about this book because it is the last book of the prequel of my favorite book series  (probably, there are quite a few close favorites - such as Divergent and the Hunger Games), called the Mortal Instruments. This book is the third in the series called the Infernal Devices. I am currently on page 115/576. 
It is a story set in Victorian London, and it is the story of a band of 'Shadowhunters' - a close nit community of beings who possess certain powers, and are responsible or ridding the Earth of 'demons', who are basically evil creatures who travel around, wreaking havoc around London, or other places in the world. They don't bother the humans because of this race of shadowhunters is keeping all of these demons away from the people and basically saving the world. This may seem like it might be the main conflict in a story, but it isn't really the main problem for any of the characters. Most of the conflict has actually built up from the previous books. In this book, the characters have a whole slew of problems. First of all there is a man, Mortmain, who is the main antagonist in the book, who is going to cause many problems. He has an army of clockwork machines, called 'automatons' or 'the infernal devices', and he is trying to use them to get to one of the main characters, Tessa. She is needed by Mortmain, as she posses special powers - she can shapeshift. Mortmain wants her so that he can harness her power to use it against the Shadowhunters, and so he can eventually take over the world. There are also some other problems - Tessa's fiance, Jem (James Carstairs) is dying. He is dependent on a drug, ying fey, which keeps him alive after he was tortured by a demon, and almost killed. The demon injected its blood into his veins, so ultimately, he will die. This ying fey drug keeps him alive, for now, and as well as he could possibly be in his condition. The problem is, there is no more ying fey left. Mortmain has cut off all of the ying fey resources which are imported into London. Jem is dying. Tessa, and Will, another one of the protagonists, have to try and find some of this drug to keep their friend alive. Without it, he can hardly last another week. 
This is quite a terrifying prospect, and they have to find a way to save him... and without being killed or kidnapped by mortmain....
I am LOVING this book so far, as it is really entertaining and I kind of am obsessed. I would reccomend this series definitely, but first read the Mortal Instrument series, also by Cassandra Clare. It is amazing!!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such an awesome book! I LOVE Cassandra Clare's books, especially the Mortal Instruments series! ("City of Fallen Angels" and "City of Ashes" are my favorite ones) I'm really thinking of reading this after I read my book report book (which I hadn't yet picked oops). Have fun reading it, it sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete