Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Oliver Twist - Cosmo

Halla people!
So right now, in the present I am reading my lines for the ISB middle school production Oliver Twist, a tale by Charles Dickens and summarized into a vivid musical by Mary Donnelly & George L.O. Strid. It is a fun and collaborative after school activity and I love to be there on time, so I memorize my lines a lot. I didn't really have a choice either, because the director, Mrs. Brink assigned us two different roles for two different casts, and because the play is performed on the end of November, we have to move quickly. But it is fun, I enjoy having my part, although it requires time to do. I am not really on a page number, because I keep on rereading the book  in order to memorize, but the current, like the actual PRESENT time I am on page 56.

In case of interest, the two roles that I play is in the first cast, Mr. Brownlow, a kind old man who helps Oliver throughout the story and fights for Olivers security & safety. In the other cast, I am Bill Sikes, a hardened criminal and the meanest possible man alive. The one thing he dislikes the most is when people mention his name in public, he will "rip your throat completely off your neck" (Donnelly 39).

The play and Oliver Twist in general is about an Orphan boy in London, who escaped from a workhouse, and is taken in by criminals, but is retrieved by other characters. It is basically a summary of life in the 1800s, in the point of view of a little kid. Some major findings in my lines, some that I found interesting, in my lines were that Sikes spoke with great violence and self confidence, if we can say it that way, and Mr. Brownlow spoke with a kind and gentle manner, probably it is regular for their character to be like that.

There aren't really main points, but I'll state some major lines:
"You're not going anywhere, Bill Sikes!" - Mr. Brownlow (58)
"I knew, I knew it! That boy is nothing but trouble! - Fagin " (32)
"Please, Sir, may I have some more?" - Oliver Twist (8)
"Back to my house, your new home. A place where you'll never again have to be afraid to ask for more" - Mr. Brownlow (58)

So, that was it folks, thank you for your attention, hope you enjoyed!
Cosmo :D


1 comment:

  1. Hey Cosmo, I really like the way you wrote about the play we're doing because it made it very interesting :D
    Our play is going to be awsum.
    Gwendy :)

    ReplyDelete