Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages read: 40 out of 454



I got the book today from a friend so I have not yet read so much of the book. I can tell the book is amazing, because I have watched the movie with a friend before, so I thought the movie would ruin the book for me. But even after reading 3 chapters, I have completely forgot about the movie, and started to imagine the story with the book's details. Many people told me that the book is incredible, and since the genre of this book report is fantasy or science fiction, I thought it was a good chance to read "The Hunger Games". There were not that many words that I did not know of, but one that I found was the word corpse in the sentense "But in District 12, where the word tribute is pretty much synonymous with the word corpse, volunteers are all but extinct." on page 27. An online dictionary's definition of the word corpse, was "a dead body, usually of a human being; something no longer useful". Until now, the book is similar with the movie. It is about Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old girl living in District 12, where people die of starvation. There is the Hunger Games every (year or years) where they pick one girl and one boy from each district making 24 people, where they have to enter a harsh environment, and the 24 people have to kill each other until there is one person left, the winner of Hunger Games. To pick the 24 people, the judges from the Capitol comes around each district in order to pick the 24 tributes. If you put your name more than once in the bowl, you can get free food and supplies so Katniss put her name 20 times and her friend Gale has put it in 42 times. Since getting picked as a tribute is dangerous, and also since its her first time, Katniss put her 12 year old sister Primrose's name only once. But she has been picked and then Katniss volunteered to be tribute in order to keep Prim safe. The boy tribute was Peeta Mellark, a guy who was in Katniss's old memories. This is where chapter 3 ends and I have not yet read more than that. It is a little bit predictable but all the details of the book fill in the blank spaces of the movie. I think this will be a great book for the third book project.

-sooyoungbyun7a

1 comment:

  1. Wow... You wrote a lot and that makes your blog post really interesting. You put a lot of details and everything is easy for understanding. I want to learn what is going to happen so I'll read all of your blog posts after you post them. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete