Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Name: Uncle Tom's Cabin
Author: Harriet Beecher Stowe
Genre: A classic


Huh, who would want to read such a classic? Who would be interested? It has a boring old cover, with only a picture of a white cottage. What a boring cover! But really, no it's not a boring book! You should never judge it by the cover of the book. That's exactly what I did, and I totally decided to ignore it. I read the easier version when I was smaller, and that was good enough for me. But that was such a long time ago! I could read it again if I wanted to. But I didn't want to. For me it was a boring old book with a boring cover. Ha, really? That's what I thought, but my parents totally disagreed. No, this was not a boring book. And only when I was forced to read it, did I really realise what a stupid mistake I had made. This was a very touching book, from the beginning, and even though I just started it, I enjoyed it so far, and I deeply hope that I will advance quickly. So far I came to the part where an old beggar, mean and cruel, came to a very noble man and was asking him to sell his faithful servants. Of course the kind man's heart was too big to do such a cruel thing. He had faithful servants which he treated well, and cared for them. The servants would get beaten all the time, and they were never well treated. The beggar wanted them, and he tried to persuade the owner to sell his servants by telling the good-hearted man that treating servants well is not good for them. The lady Eliza who is also one of the servants that lived in the family and was treated as a member of the family, had a son called Harry, who the beggar also wanted. It was common to sell the mother separated from the baby and that's why it's sad. Mothers would be in grief and some of then would cry in grief, and they would be miss treated even more. Then the mother would die of suffering or grief. This story tells all about their suffering, but I'm still at the beginning.
Written by: Masha 

1 comment:

  1. I definatly agree some classical books they look boring! but then they turn out to be some of the best books i have ever read! Your book seems really interesting!

    ReplyDelete