Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I have finished reading the book I have read for my book project and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The setting of Delirium is the United States. Setting plays a huge role in Delirium, due to the fact that the society believes that anywhere outside their compound is crazy, abnormal and diseased. Although I am unaware of the exact location of the book, I am certain that it is not the whole of the U.S. The wilds is the term for the setting outside the compound where Delirium is set and where people called 'Invalids' live. 'Invalids' are those who don't believe the cure or who have rebelled against the society. I'm pretty certain, although it is not stated in the book that Delirium is set in the future and it seems very dystopian and futuristic ( I think this because they have advanced technology that can cure the feeling of love.

The conflict in Delirium is definitely man vs society as Lena, the protagonist, feels as though society is her antagonist and that society is preventing her from what she really wants to acquire from her life. When she falls in love with Alex, she feels this even stronger. Alex is the only person she cares about in her life and the society she lives in is the only thing preventing her from being with him. She is one of the only uncured or cured members of her society that realize to what extent the government or the society is preventing people from living the life freely.

And, as I said before, READ THIS BOOK, it is fabulous in every single way.

GD

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree in every single way. Beautiful. Detailed. Perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats such a cool book! Iv'e read your last blog post about this book and I really want to read it! It sounds so interesting that they can cure love those days. Hope it doesn't happen in our future though.... xD

    ReplyDelete