Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

“127 Hours Between a Rock and a Hard Place” #3



 
 
“127 Hours Between a Rock and a Hard Place” #3

I am reading a non-fiction book called “127 hours Between a Rock and a Hard Place” by Aron Ralston and so far I read 145/342 pages.

This book is a perfect example of the conflict “Man vs Nature”.  I was drawn to this story from the summary at the back of the book:  Aron Ralston was hiking through the canyons of Colorado when a terrible accident happened and his hand was stuck under a huge rock that fell on him. Unfortunately, he couldn’t get his hand free. The accident happened on the 26th of April 2003 at 2:41pm. While I was reading the book I realized how startled and scared I would be if I was in his place. First of all, there would be almost no chance that I would get my hand free. But even if I managed to free it, I knew that it would be amputated anyway. I would most probably have acted the same way he had.  There would have been only two options - to wait for the rescue team, or to try in any way possible to get my hand free in the meantime.  A thing that I would bring with me always during such solo hikes would be either a cellphone or satellite location equipment for any emergencies like this.

The sentence that shows the conflict “Man vs Nature”:

“My disbelief paralyzes me temporarily as I stare at the sight of my arm vanishing into an implausibly small gap between the fallen boulder and the canyon wall. (Ralston Page 23)

I know that Aron will be able to free his hand somehow because on the back of the book cover it says that he survived this tragic accident.

1 comment:

  1. Hi luka,

    I think your non-fiction book seems realistic and interesting because of how man vs nature is showed and explained. I think it's great book you are reading!

    ReplyDelete