Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

Edith's story #4

This is the 4th post on Edith's story by Edith Velmans and I have finished the book (238/238).

Edith encounters a few obstacles.


   1. Holland in occupied by the Germans and Jews are losing their rights.
 This is an obstacle because Edith losses the right to do the things she loves. These include rowing and sailing.
   2. Edith has to go into hiding with her brother.
  This is an obstacle because it is forbidden and the family who is helping and the relatives of these in hiding may get punished. It is also hard for Edith to leave everyone she knows and loves behind. 
   3. Edith has to get used to her new identity.
 This is hard for Edith because she was used to being able to do what she liked but now she is a slave almost.
   4. Edith has to get over the fact that most of her family is dead or dying.\
  How can somebody start a new life when all their family is dead, their house is burned an all their belongings are lost? 
   1. Although Edith is restricted to many things she tries to make a life with the things she has.
   2. She agrees because she knows that is what her parents what and they would do anything to save her. This way she is helping then fulfill their task. 
   3. Edith has no connections to the outside world. The only things that keep her going are the letters that she receives from her family. And maybe the small hope of freedom.
   4. Edith remembered what her parents told her and held her head high and tried to forget about the past.

Quote:
"Although I sometimes found it hard to get through the day, I would not allow myself to be sad. It was a new world, and I knew what was required of me - to see the sunny side, to make the best of things; to turn over a new leaf"(Velmans 233)


I don't think I can apply these experiences into my life yet. Maybe if there is another world war I could use this knowledge but so far I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment