Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Emotions/thoughts while reading - I am Malala

I am Malala
Kiara Andjelkov
Pgs 357/357

             The most flabbergasting moment in the non-fiction novel, "I am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai was when the protagonist, Malala was shot in the head, point-blank on her way home from school by a Taliban assassin. I found this very astonishing since, in my opinion, Malala was doing nothing wrong by pursuing her campaigns and protests for the right to woman education in Pakistan (mainly Swat). Although, through the eyes of the antagonist, The Talibans, she was a rebel and they did not like that she wasn't under their control. But even so, they marched into her village, took over and completely changed the peoples lifestyle of living. 
           Malala's dad ran a girl's school in Swat Valley and had been also targeted for death. Malala's appearances were increasing as they began being more often, which put her more at risk. Before Malala was shot, she was considering what she would do if a terrorist would jump out and shoot her, "Maybe I'd take off my shoes and hit him," she wrote. "But then I'd think that if I did that, there would be no difference between me and the terrorist," she continued, "It would be better to plead, 'Okay, shoot me, but first listen to me. What you are doing is wrong. I'm not against you personally. I just want every girl to go to school." I was very amazed by what she had said, by the level of maturity she had reached at such a young age because of her circumstances. 
          When she was shot I was infuriated, angry, enraged but at the same time disappointed. I was furious because I didn't understand how someone has the strength to shoot a young girl who was fighting for her beliefs and rights. I was downhearted by what humanity had  become. We are all humans, but I see no humanity, this act committed by one of the Taliban's was absurd and unnecessary. The Taliban who shot Malala was probably corrupted by money and greed, he was willing to take away another persons life in order for money. This book made me smile, cry, cheer and realize how unfair the world is and how humans are cruel and selfish creatures.  
         What uplifted me was when Malala survived the bullet and continued to fight for what she thought was right/what she believed in. She was determined to finish what she had begun and she still hasn't given up. Malala is definitely among one of the many wonderful human beings we should look up to as our heroes and models for future generations. 
           


1 comment:

  1. Kiara,
    This is very well written. You included a lot of detail and used quotations from the book. Did you know that Malala Yousafzai has a honorary doctorate degree from the University of King’s College?

    ReplyDelete