Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2015

My Emotions in: Guts

Guts by Gary Paulsen


What I found most surprising is that Gary, my book's protagonist, kept hunting after his many unfortunate and cringe-worthy experiences. One such example is when he was in a canoe with another person, and a little inbalance tipped it all over. Then, they were swarmed by deerflies, which eat flesh. This made me cringe, alot. Whats interesting, however, is that they continued on their mission and successfully reached the amount of meat and pelts that they needed. In another instance, Gary was starving. When he started hunting he told himself that he would only harvest and eat choice parts, leaving the entrails and eyeballs for the scavengers. When he found himself unable to find any game, except a few small squirrels, he had to abolish the rule he made. That chapter is handily named "Eating eyeballs and guts or starving: The fine art of Wilderness Nutrition". I almost lost my lunch reading that chapter, especially on the part when he mentioned Balut which is a Filipino dish consisting of a duck embryo being boiled alive while still in the shell. Disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment