Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Britain Since 1789

Hey Everyone!
So for this book report, I am doing the book Britain Since 1789- A Concise History the author of the book is called Martin Pugh. The book basically talks about how Britain has changed of the course of centuries. The book gives detailed information about the whole features of a country, it basically tells us about the economy and the the extreme growth in the population, as well as everything major that had happened to the developed country. Before we start with the answering of the questions, here is the basic information about the book:
Title: Britain Since 1789- A Concise History 
Author: Martin Pugh 
Number of Pages: 249


What facts did you enjoy learning about?
I enjoyed learning about the growth of the population. The reason I enjoyed this particular area in the book is because the way the numbers increase is quite extraordinary. As I opened the book, the very first sentence was astonishing.

"In the early eighteenth century Britain was little more than a middle ranking European power. Her population in 1700 has been estimated at 9 million compared with 19 million in France and 17.5 million for Russia,for example. Britain's army, some 75,000 men, were dwarfed by the 350,000 French troops and the 222,000 Russians." 

The reason I found this particular part very interesting was because there was such a major difference when doing the comparison between these three countries. Britain and France we so far apart in the population, but now they are the same. Russia has a SMALLER population than France, but now the population of France is three times the population of Russia. 

Did you discover anything that might help you outside of school?

Since I am reading about one particular country, I don't think I will really need the extensive information that I had read in the book. In my opinion, I think it would be best used in school related purposed. For example, in humanities class if I ever need to do a presentation or poster on the United Kingdom, this book we be extremely useful. 

What else would you like to learn about this topic?

I would like to learn more about the industrial growth. How Britain's economy changed in the past couple of centuries, how it improved. I think that the book has information about the economy for sure. 

Pick a technical work, write the sentence you found it in, and write the page number:

The word I choose is demographic I did not find it in a sentence, It was more of a subtitle. The subtitle is: The Demographic Revolution and I found it on page 1. The meaning of demographic means: relating to the dynamic balance of a population especially with regard to density and capacity for expansion or decline, for more information on the word visit http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demographic

1 comment:

  1. Very good blog post. You met all of the requirements.

    ReplyDelete