Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

Name of book: The Story of My Life 
Author: Helen Keller
Number of pages: 225


This book is an autobiography of Helen Keller. Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama. In 1882 she was struck by a very bad fever and became blind and deaf. In 1887 she first meets her teacher (Mrs. Sullivan) who teaches her to communicate and later to read and write. 



1. What facts did you enjoy learning about? Explain why you chose this  particular part. 

I found out many facts about Helen Keller's life that I didn't know before reading this book. I found out how Helen Keller learned to first communicate with her teacher, Mrs, Sullivan. Whenever Helen was using an object her teacher would finger spell the word into Helen's palm. I chose this part because I didn't know that blind people communicated in that way which is why I found it very interesting that they use sign language to spell words into each other's palms. 

2. Did you discover anything that might help you outside of school? 

I discovered that if you have a goal and you try your best to reach a goal and put a lot of work to it than nothing can stop you from achieving your goal. This was showed in this book because Helen Keller really wanted to learn how to read, write and speak and she always tried her best and found learning fun and not only she achieved her goal to read and write in English, but also in German, French and Latin. 


3. What else would you like learn about the topic? 

I would like to learn more about the Braille alphabet (a writing system that enables blind people to read and write) and how to use it. 

4. Pick a technical word, write the sentence you found it in and the page number it's from, explain the meaning. 

Word: Quadruped
Meaning: An animal that has four feet.
I found this word on page 58. 
"I thought I might just as well describe my pet in order to know it- order, vertebrate; division, quadruped; class, mammalia; genus, felinus; species, cat; individual, Tabby."

Picture sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment