Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Outsiders

The Outsiders

(by S. E. Hinton, 192 pages)

I learned that gang members are not only people from a low class, but high class citizens too. Even kids of my age can be criminals and members of brutal gangs. I chose this part because it is the main idea of the chapter i read. I discovered that kids of my age form groups which can have a very bad influence on others. I would like to learn how gang members avoid the police and law, why they are not confined and what their daily life looks like, where they get their food from, where they get their money from, where they get their clothes from, do they have a gang chief, why they fight other gangs, where they get their weapons from...

Greaser- "My hair is longer than a lot of boys wear theirs, squared off in back and long at the front and sides, but I am a greaser  and most of my neighborhood rarely bothers to get a haircut", 1st page

Meaning- 1) "A man who greases machinery"
                2) "A ship's engineer"

Gang- "And nobody in our gang digs movies and books the way I do", 1st page

Meaning- 1) A number of workmen working together
               2) A band of people going about together or working together, especially for some criminal 
                   purpose

The meanings of the words "Greaser" and "Gang" were taken out of "The Oxford Dictionary of Modern English", published in 1983 by "Oxford University Press", page 283, lines 4 and 5 for the word "Greaser" and page 265 lines 24 to 28 for the word "Gang"

No comments:

Post a Comment