Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The First Three Minutes

The First Three Minutes

 
Title: The First Three Minutes
Author: Steven Wienberg
Pages: 226 (kindle edition)
 
 
 
 
 
During my reading I really liked learning about the measurements of time called Planck seconds named after Max Planck. These seconds are used to measure units of time of roughly 10−43 seconds. What I thought was interesting was during the big bang the universe expanded from an infinitely small and dense unit it became the size of our sun in about 4.5 Planck seconds, remember 1 Planck seconds equals roughly 10−43 seconds. I think I have learned a lot that will benefit my knowledge not only in school but also outside of school, like in science. I would like to know more about the big bang theory and ideas that relate to it, such as theories and equations.
 
For my technical word, I chose: "The Doppler Effect”, as used in the sentence: "The technique makes use of a familiar property of any sort of wave motion known as the Doppler Effect." 
 
(Found on 7% for kindle edition.)
 
The Doppler Effect is a change in frequency of a wave (or other periodic event) for an observer moving relative to its source. For example, if you stand at a train station when a train is coming to pass you, the sound waves it produces get louder as the train gets nearer and then quieter as it goes away.  Furthermore when we measure the time between when the wave crests collide with our instruments as the time they leave the source.                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment