Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2015

TALES OF TROY AND GREECE

Pages read: 25/256
Author: Andrew Lang

Hello dear blog readers! I have recently started a new book, and I am looking forward to reading it. I decided to read this book I have had for a long time, but I was never bothered to read it. It is called: "Tales of Troy and Greece" by Andrew Lang. The book is basically a large collection of Greek myths, told by the author, in his way. The book is very detailed when describing the setting and the events, and it differs from other versions of the myths. I started reading the first myth in the collection, and it is the famous tale about Ulysses (Odysseus, called Ulysses in the book) and how he went to the city of Troy to fight for Helen, the stolen princess. In this post, I will summarize what I read so far, and only this one story. Here it is:


Ulysses was born on the island of Ithaca, a small island roughly somewhere in the Aegean sea. He was of noble blood, as his he was the son of the king Laertas, who ruled this small island. As a young boy, he was very adventurous. He liked going hunting with his father, and loved listening to the stories of heroes fighting terrible beings. As he grew up, he became a wise and strong young man. One on occasion, he got a scar that would be of crucial importants later in the tale. While hunting a wild boar, we was wounded, but he still slew the beast. As well, after that near death situation, he became more wise and intelligent. While Ulysses was still relatively young, a terrible crime hit Greece that would result in a terrible and bloody war that was to last for many years. This is were the true tale of Ulysses begins. The beautiful princess known as Helen, was stolen by a young and strong man known as Paris. After stealing Helen, chaos erupted in the lands of the Greeks. Everyone, wanting to kill the one who did the this terrible deed, raised an armada of ships, and huge armies and went to battle versus the Trojans, who stole Helen. Hundreds of cities were involved in making this huge armies, no matter how far away in the Greek realm they were. Ulysses's small island, was affected too. Ulysses led his armies to battle, and left his wife, and his son back at Ithaca. Though as brave as Ulysses was, he was not the main character nor leader in the battle for Troy. The leader of the Greeks was a man by the name of Achilles, who's armour was said to have been crafted by Hephaestus, one of the Greek gods at Olympus. As the armies of the Greeks landed on shore, they found themselves in a very bad situation. Though the military might of the Greeks was more dominant than the one of the Trojans, the enemies of the Greeks had, realizing the superiority of their enemy, retreated into the city itself. Troy was guarded by huge stone walls, seemingly impregnable, and from that position the Trojans could hold any assault by the Greeks. This is were I stopped reading, and in the next part of the story, I assume that the Greeks will attack the Trojans, which will lead to some consequences for both sides. Here are two interesting words I found, their definition, and their usage in a sentence that matches the word:


Word #1: Renounce. Definition: To give up, or put aside voluntarily.

Sentence: "I am going to renounce my share of the treasure due to very specific reasons."

Word#2: Dismount. Definition: to remove (a thing) from its mounting, support, setting, etc. 

Sentence: "A huge amount of dismounted warriors assaulted the gates of the city."

I hope you enjoyed my blog post, and tune in for more!

NL
(I am very sorry for the font change above, I cannot solve this problem.)

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you explained it it was detailed and I really like your book.

    ReplyDelete