Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Death Cure - The Maze Runner Series Book 3 - James Dashner

Pages Read 42/327

After happily finishing the second book in The Maze Runner series, I simply had to start reading The Death Cure, the third book in the series. The Death Cure by James Dashner is a dystopian futuristic fictional novel. The main character is Thomas and he's also the main protagonist. Other protagonists are group A and B members, and two Cranks called Jorge and Brenda. (A Crank is an ordinary person who slowly went insane because of the Flare). The book is set inside WICKED's (World in Catastrophe Killzone Experiment) lair after all the Gladers had completed their mission of finding their safe haven. A cure for the Flare, a deadly disease which makes you slowly go insane, was promised to them once they found the safe haven. However, WICKED had surprised the Gladers with some pretty shocking news. The WICKED team confessed that almost all Gladers are immune to the Flare but that there is no cure yet. The Gladers expected to start their lives all over again but they still have to fight and be stimulated for their, as well as the humanity's freedom. The Flare is spreading rather quickly and WICKED has to collect enough brain patterns in order to find a cure - this will only be possible if the Gladers continue their journey. 

With that said, the two words I didn't particularly know were divvied and avail

The first word, divvied, was more of an interesting than unfamiliar word. I got what it meant from the context ("He found some cheese sticks and divvied them up, then practically shoved his portion down his throat before drinking a full bottle of juice." Dashner 41), but I found the way it was spelled quite unique. Obviously, the word "divvied" means divided. Being honest, I first thought it was a spelling mistake, but when I searched it up I found out it was just another way of writing it. Now I'm probably going to start using it because of its awesomeness uniqueness. (Reading books pays off in many ways!) An example of this word used in a sentence is "I cut up an apple and divvied the slices equally".

The second word, avail, was completely unfamiliar. It means to be of use or take advantage of. ("Thomas looked back to see another guard half drag Minho across the floor to follow, Newt was right behind them, struggling to no avail." Dashner 39) An example of this word used in a sentence is "I was tortured to no avail". 

I look forward to finishing this book as fast as possible! 


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog post about The Death Cure *does the #3 sign*. The series seems awesome although I haven't read it yet, I would love to! I also really liked the two words that you chose, which I also find quite interesting :) good job ytb ily

    ReplyDelete