Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

4:50 From Paddington - Cosmo

Hi everyone!
This will be my second blog post on my mystery genre book report, on novel 4:50 from Paddington which is written by famous mystery novel writer, Agatha Christie. I actually read loads since last blog post, when I was only on page 42/217, now I devoured the book all the way to page 191 out of the total 217. I am actually really terrified to read on, because the last fifty pages of the book started to get scary, and someone is poisoning people, and a victim has already chosen. I actually saved to read it for daytime cause I can't sleep if I read it at 11 PM. I plan on reading the rest today actually so lets hurry up!

So the topic of this assigned post is the antagonist and protagonist. An antagonist is the evil person in a fiction novel and protagonist vice versa, the hero. In my book there are several protagonists, such as Lucy Eyelesbarrow or Emma Crackenthorpe. Miss Marple is one too, and  other protagonists are conspicuously Alfred, Cedric and Harold, three brothers, three distinct personalities. Alfred actually died in the last ten pages, so it proved the antagonist is closeby, yet still unknown. I believe there is only a single antagonist, but I think he is both clever and dangerous. So yes, the conflict is still man vs. unknown as far as I've read! The protagonists all have different appearances, but I'll try to list them all. Miss Marple and Ms. McGillycuddy are both two elderly ladies, white hair and nicely dressed. Lucy on the other hand is a young, possibly attractive and intelligent maid, who is a wonderful cook. Emma is like Lucy, only adequate in each category. But she is just so incredibly caring, it makes up for it. The three brothers, are tall, dark and comforting men. Harold is the one with most intellect, Cedric is a creative painter and Alfred is very innocent in his own cozy apartment. There was no description of inspector Craddock or Bacon, but it wasn't relevant either. The last description I will provide is from Luther Crackenthorpe, who is a tall old man. He is very clever in his own ways. In this book, the protagonists are trying to identify the antagonists and all they know so far, is that the antagonist is a tall dark man, just like the three brothers are. Very mysterious book this is, that's why I love it and find it a divine story. I am sure that some clues have been found, but I can only identify a few and it will probably all make sense if I read the remainder of the book, 26 pages. A clue I know for sure was at the beginning of the story, when Lucy investigated the Crackenthorpe garden, which is close to the railway and spots a rip of fur belonging to the hat of the murdered woman. Later she is found in an old sarcophagus on the other side of the garden, in a small barn. In case of interest, Crackenthorpe is the surname of Alfred, Cedric, Harold, Emma and Luther, (their father) and they play a major part in the rest of the story. So, I repeat, man vs. unknown so far in protagonist and antagonist. I just have a dirty gut feeling that someone reliable was in fact a double agent and the antagonist... Maybe someone like Cedric, I don't know. Thank you for reading, while I will kill the rest of the book, and surface the truth...

That was it folks, another thank you for your attention, and see you next time!
Cosmo :D

1 comment: