Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Hercule Poirot's Christmas

For my mystery novel I am reading "Hercule Poirot's Christmas" by "Agathe Christie". So far I have read 39% of the novel. The reason I must state this in the form of percentage is because the chapter is very long and it would take a fortnight to count the amount of pages in the chapter. therefore I state how much I have read in percentage. Continuing on. The current setting of the book seems to be in a manor of sorts, in a slightly sub urban area around London. The year appears to be undefined but it is most definitely in the past. Despite the year being undefined the book does not have chapters, instead days. from this I can deduce the mystery occurred between the 22nd of December to the 28th of December. It also appears to be a cold part of winter as all the characters of the book utilize fire burning ovens. In total I find this setting creates a very dark and mysterious mood.  

1 comment:

  1. The setting of Kresten's novel is different frpm mine. Although the settings of our novels take place in busy cities, the setting of his story is in a suburban area outside the city center while the setting of my story is in the city itself. Our stories both take place in the past which may or may not be a similarity. My story takes place in 1979 which is 34 years ago whereas Kresten's setting was not specific to a time period. The past can be a long time ago or a few months back. Another difference between our settings is that his story takes place in the cold December month while mine is in the warm month of April. Kresten described the mood of his setting as dark and mysterious. I don't think that my main character would fit into this type of setting. My character is fun, full of excitement and positive energy which requires a warm and welcoming place to be in.

    ReplyDelete