Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Diary of a Young Girl - Yoonji - Post 2

Hello all, as some of you may know, I am one of the few people who read/is reading 'The Diary of a Young Girl', written by Anne Frank. Currently I am trying to quickly finish the book, and I read 268 pages out of 283.
I think this book's topic is basically about the persecution of Jews in World War 2 in general, but more specifically it is about Anne's life in hiding from the Nazis. Specifically, I don't think that the topic of this book is hugely important and impacting (although I believe the book is), because it is about a Jewish girl and her family hiding in a secret refuge, undiscovered by Nazis for about three years during World War 2, which some other Jews also did. I don't really know how this can really affect readers or impact other things hugely, and are only a number of detailed diary entries written by a 13-year-old girl. But I think that it is important in a more general way, because World War 2 was a major historic event that happened during 1939 to 1945, along with the persecution and death of many Jews, caused by the Nazis. I think that this topic and the book itself can show readers about how hiding for three years during a major war was like, and help them understand it better.
The parts in the book that I didn't understand were throughout the whole book, not really a specific diary entry, but just some small or big parts of some entries and the whole book. Those were the parts when Anne, who seems to be highly educated in literacy, considering the language and vocabulary, uses a lot of hard and high level words a number of times in paragraphs, often when she is writing about her personal life and feelings. I think it is pretty unusual for a thirteen-year-old who doesn't get educated for three years while hiding in a not-so-big house to be that literate while writing a diary. But well, most things are possible and there are special and talented people in history and the earth. Anyway, judging by the depressing/confusing diary entries about her emotions and thoughts, I think she usually got depressed, angry, and sad about her family and the way they act, and felt very unnecessary and not needed. Of course, the mortal mind is confusing, full of different thoughts, but I think this girl was more talented in that, along with her literacy skills, being very internal and bottling her emotions up, and forcing writing to a diary ("Kitty is always patient." maybe she's not). But I do understand that many great books use confusing/high level of vocabulary, and often use it in explanations about feelings, the human mind, society, etc. (Read the 'Tale of Two Cities'! You'll know (about the migraines)!)
I still do have some questions about the topic. For instance, 'what exactly is the topic? Because I didn't quite understand what it should really be, because it was both specific, personal, yet general.' So I am still having trouble figuring out the main and the most important topic of this book; personal feelings and life, or depression of the killing of Jews in World War 2?
I want to learn more about the topic, of course, what exactly happened after Anne's last entry, and how this book actually impacted different people in varying ways, because not everyone has the same opinion about something (in this case, the book). I think that I can find out about what happened after Anne's last entry if I read the afterword, (which some confusing or "great" books (like Newberry Honor books or others) have) in which it either explains and tries to resolve the remaining confusion of the poor readers, or just acknowledges different things related to this book. But I am not sure about the other information I want to know about.

(Please do not judge; I know this is a strongly opinionated post, and a horrible critique which is basically seeking death from Anne Frank lovers)

(Proper apology: I am very sorry for making this post very weird. And I hope you don't criticize me for writing all these unnecessary, unrelated things here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment