Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2014

"THE LIFE AND DEATH OF ADOLF HITLER"

# Pages 167/223
Author: James Cross Giblin

Hello fellow blog readers! I have been reading the book called: "The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler". I am finished with roughly 2/3 of the book, and I am planning to finish by mid-next week, so that I can have time to do the actual book project. So far, I am very impressed with the content of the book, and I think it would have been a good selection even in my free time. Here are a series of questions to be answered:

Why is the topic of this book so important? Well, first we must be aware of the fact that Adolf Hitler is one of histories biggest characters. People need to find out how he became such a tyrant, and what lead him to make such murderous acts as he did. As well, the topic is important because it is of huge historical significance,

What did you learn about this topic? I already knew quite a bit about Hitlers life, but I have learned even more about him, mainly his early life as a poor man in the city of Linz, and Vienna. As well, I learned many historical details about troubling times, such as the first world war, and the international depression that even affected Germany. In all, I have learned truly found out more, and I have enriched my knowledge about this topic.

What did you not understand about the book? In terms of the actual book, all was very clear and maybe even at certain points overly-descriptive. The main question that is actually puzzling me is how Hitler, a son of a Austrian customs official, become the tyrant of the last century. I understand his route to what he became, but people will never know what happened in his mind and how he succeeded. It is one of histories greatest questions.

What questions do you still have about this topic? Well, as I previously mentioned, one of my main questions is how he became what he was. Another question is, though I have not read the whole book yet, but I know this, is did Hitler survive the war? Many theories suggest that he was not assassinated in his bunker by Soviet troops, but instead he escaped to south america. I am a bit skeptical about this theory, but I think that this may be mentioned later in the book, as this is a question that is un-solved. As well, I wonder why he came to hate Jews and Slavs, because they never endangered him in any way what so ever. At one point in the book, he starts hating these two groups of people. This is yet another un-solved question.

What would you like to learn about more? Well, I think that it is important to learn about who he was surrounded by. For example, in the book it is mentioned that Eva Braun, his future wife, was a worker at a restaurant, until she became Hitlers wife. I wish I could find out more about her, and people that he worked with everyday. As well, I wish to know what was in the minds of his followers. Where they brainwashed, or forced to be for him? We will never know, but this is one of the main questions I want to find out more about.

In general, this is a great book so far, and I recommend it to anyone with the will of reading.
NL   

1 comment:

  1. You explain the book very well and you answered all the questions very well and very clearly, good work!

    ReplyDelete