Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2014

"Witches"

Hello!
The book I'm reading for my book report is "Witches! The absolutely true tale of disaster in Salem" by Rosalyn Schanzer. Currently I'm on 40/150 page. This book tells us about a tragedy that happened in a small town called Salem (Massachusetts) in 1629. In that time people were even more religious than we are today. They prayed everyday, studied the Bible and believed in dark powers. Reverend Parris was a controversial minister in the Salem Town. Once, his nine year old daughter- Betty Parris, and his eleven year old niece- Abigail Williams started to behave suspicious. They were choking, speaking different languages and making weird shapes with their bodies. Reverend and some other people believed that a witch has cursed the little girls. Before that happened, the Salem Town also had different problems. For example every night the water in the pipes would turn into solid ice or even something worse. Then they already believed that has been some witches job. Reverend accused many people, but mostly his slave- Tituba. The reason I can't really describe the characters is because in this book they mostly just talk about the situation, not the people in it. The tale seems truly interesting and scary. My parents are not home this second, so I'm a bit scared of reading it now. I'm really looking forward to the project!

2 comments:

  1. Spooky and awesome at the same time! Definitely a book I'd like to read in the future, sounds very interesting! The water in the pipes turning into something else every night though, I'd get so creeped out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very graphic description, but I like it! The salem witch trials are very interesting to me, so I will be sure to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete