Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Apollo 13 Characters

Hi all,
This week, I am still reading the book, Apollo 13, which I will do my book project on. It was written by James Lovell, and Jeffrey Kluger. This morning I read a lot, and now I am on page 122, meaning I read 82 pages. I will need to read a lot more, and a lot faster so I can actually finish the book!
The main character within my book is Jim, or James Lovell, who is actually the author or the book. It is mainly his biography, because it describes quite a lot of his life, before and after the Apollo missions. It also goes into depth about the Apollo 8 mission, which Jim Lovell helped command.
In the book itself, it doesn't describe Jim Lovells physical characteristics. But, luckily, I have the internet to be used to my advantage. He has brown hair and eyes, and he is 1.80 metres tall. He doesn't have many distinguishing features.
As he grew up, he was really interested in rockets, but his family wasn't that rich, so he couldn't afford to study it deeply. He didn't have the money for college tuition, so he joined the navy. Here he grew up and learned a lot about being a pilot and flying in the Navy. He faced quite a lot of challenges, and even almost got lost. He is quite an inventive person, which was one of the reasons his plane almost got lost "The novice pilot had always been troubled by how hard it was to make out the numbers on the flight panel, and in idle moments during the long trip to the far east, had collected spare parts from the supply office and invented an ingenious little light that he attached to the knee board." (Lovell, Kulger 74) This shows how he is innovative. He is also very interested in knowledge, the primary reason he actually became an astronaut. "To Lovell, the acquisition of knowledge seemed like a pretty good reason to make a lunar trip" (88) He is really an interesting person, who cares about knowledge and strives to learn more - the reason he is making his expeditions to the year.
Thank you for reading, Gemma!

No comments:

Post a Comment