Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Candyfreak!

The book I read for my book report is "Canyfreak" by Steve Almond. I finished the book this morning actually (264 pages), and it was kind of interesting.

The book basically contains stories about candy freaks and Steve Almond being a candy freak himself writing about his experiences and stories. He also talks about how he stopped being a candy freak which was one of the most interesting things you will read in this book. Although it is interesting, it doesn't keep me really excited throughout the whole book, there's just not enough tension.

Every chapter is a different story/stage and some of them are a bit ridiculous. Overall I think the book is okay, and I really liked how the author in one chapter (I'm not sure in which one exactly, it was before the middle of the book though) went through how his life looked like and what people thought of him while he was a candy freak, and then he explained how he overcame the candy obsession.That chapter especially is important because you realize how people judge others when it's really unnecessary, and for all the little things that make us who we are.. If you love something, do it: though only if it's safe and not bad for you. Yes, i know, candy is also bad for you, but his whole family was a candy freak family, and Steve was the one who kind of broke the tradition. (His grandpa was especially a huge candy freak) I think there's a really nice quote that fits this perfectly: "No one else's opinion should affect your appearance or your lifestyle". I don't know who wrote the quote, but it definitely teaches us something. Also, Steve stopped being a candy freak because of himself, not because of what other people were telling him. Real life example: "I hate your jeans", says a person in your school. What are you gonna do then? You're not gonna stop wearing those jeans just because somebody told you they're ugly. You're wearing them because you like them, and that's what's important.

Even though there were a lot of things explained in this book, I wish Steve Almond wrote more about his life as a candy freak. It's interesting to hear about his experiences. There wasn't exactly anything that puzzled me, the book was clear and to the point. Well, I kind of liked this book, but there were better. I guess I'm more of a science fiction fan. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment