Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

"I am Malala" By Malala Yousafzai

I am Malala

Malala Yousafzai

84/291 # of pages read

Hey people! So this week I will be writing my second blog post about the amazing book "I am Malala" by the teenage hero Malala Yousafzai. This blog post will be about the main characters in my book.

So obviously one of the main characters is Malala Yousafzai, the author. Malala is a young intelligent, strong, caring, humorous, wise, sweet, kind, principled and brave girl. Malala came out looking like her dad and wishes she looked like her mother."I wished I had her white-lily skin, fine features and green eyes, but instead had inherited the sallow complexion, wide nose and brown eyes of my father." She says (page 16). Malala shares the funny sense of humor that her family has, how dark skinned people are usually called white and short are called tall which is kind of like sarcastic nicknames. Malala is a such a strong-opinionated girl with a kind heart and wants to help everyone and make the world a better place. Malala saw a girl her age sorting trash an abandoned strip of land which became a garbage of mountain because there was no rubbish collection in Swat were Malala and her family live. She wanted this girl she saw to go to school and live in a house, so Malala begged her dad to give that girl a free spot in his school. She wrote a letter to god, which proves how caring she is to people she doesn't even know. "I know you see everything, but there are so many things that maybe, sometimes, things get missed, particularly now with the bombing in Afghanistan. But I don’t think you would be happy if you saw the children on my road living on a rubbish dump. God, give me strength and courage and make me perfect because I want to make this world perfect. Malala." (page 72).

The other main character who is actually talked about a lot in the book is her father. Malala inherited his features, a wide nose, brown eyes and sallow complexion. Malala's father says he used to get buffalo milk to make his skin lighter. "What color are you?" he replied, "I don't know, a bit of white, a bit of black" (page 16). He stopped caring about his color and started feeling confident in it when a beautiful woman loved him, Toor Pekai (his wife). Ziauddin Yousafzai loved education and poetry. It was his passion, what he lived for. He wanted to achieve having a school and tried to encourage women rights, like Malala. Ziauddin loved language and literature and to impress and to make his father proud, he signed up for a competition, he also has strong opinions like Malala and is very talented. "So when my father was thirteen and told my grandfather he was entering a public speaking competition he was stunned. 'How can you?' Rohul Amin asked, laughing. 'You take one or two minutes to utter just one sentence.' 'Don't worry,' replied my father. 'You write the speech and i will learn it'" (page 22). That proves his strong opinion. And his talent, "The words came out fluently like beautiful butterflies taking flight..." Malala said about her father (page 31). I really think that Ziauddin is a wonderful man with great ideas and thoughts.

I hope you enjoyed this blog post about the fascinating and inspiring book "I am Malala".

Thanks for reading, Shelly Ness.



Pic link: http://international.wisc.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/malala.jpg
Pic link #2: http://static.communitytable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/malala-yousafzai-ftr.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment