Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Nonfiction Blog Post ~Petra

Petra 7A
The Code Book
Simon Singh


This week I am reading a book on cryptography. Currently, I am learning about how computers can make unbreakable codes, codes that anyone, and that means anyone, can use. For instance, if you wanted to encrypt a very special email to a very special someone, all you would have to do is download this software called PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) and it would do it all for you. For me, the most interesting part would have to be- Are you ready for this? It's really exciting- quantum theory. The concept that something can divide into a million somethings and then merge back into itself, or that an object can dive into a million universes and do a different thing in each one, fascinates me. I wouldn't recommend this book to people who's heads hurt in math and science class, but to people who want to learn way above their own level, and are capable of doing so. There were a lot of points in the book where I had to read over again a couple of times, and sometimes I didn't even understand it then. Despite that, it's a really interesting book, and I learned so much reading it. 

1 comment:

  1. After reading your blog-post, you really grabbed my attention! I would really like to read this book because I love science and would really like to know more about the book, "The Code Book"! One question that came in my mind was: What is cryptography? I searched up online what it meant and this was the exact definition:

    the science or study of the techniques of secret writing, especially code and cipher systems, methods, and the like.

    This makes sense because the book is about the study of secret writing/codes which is also defines cryptography. I am glad that you find the book fascinating. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete