Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

SPOILER ALERT! This post contains spoilers and I strongly advise people who haven't read the book not to read this blog post.| Mrs. McGinty's Dead |

Mrs McGinty's Dead

 (Agatha Christie)


   The novel begins with the murder of Mrs. McGinty. I think that the author chose this beginning because the most common motive of murder is money and Mrs. McGinty was an old charwoman without much money.    
   First Mrs. McGinty was killed and James Bentley was framed. Then, Mrs. Upward was killed for the same reason Mrs. McGinty was - for recognizing a photograph the murderer wanted to hide. These events created the inner conflict within Poirot. Who was the murderer? A play-writer Robin Upward (Evelyn Hope) was the murderer who murdered these two people and tried to frame other people for it. 

   The author creates suspense by not mentioning all of the detectives thoughts, leaving the reader to think about it.

I love the ending of the novel. I like it because it ends with Poirot and some residents of Broadhinny attending a meeting where the murderer is exposed. He does not immediately tell who the murderer is, but follows along with the murderer's game and then - out of nowhere,  says who  the murderer really is and makes Robin admit his crime. After that, he explains every step Robin made and his motives, to make it clear to the witnesses. Even if I could change the ending, I wouldn't. I think it's perfect.

1 comment:

  1. What is your real name? I can't give you marks if I don't know who is the author.

    ReplyDelete