Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Hound of The Baskervilles- Setting

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to give you a brief plan on what will be happening in this blog post... So this weeks topic on the blog post is writing about the setting, so that is what we will do at the very end of the blog post. The first thing we will be doing is writing about what happened until the 159th page of the book. The summary of the 159 pages will not be too long because not a lot of interesting things have happened. So, I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog post, and continue reading them in the future... of course Mrs.Sonja has to read them, but I hope she enjoys reading my blog posts and does not find the extremely boring. 

Quick Information About The Book-

Title:The Hound Of The Baskervilles
Author: Sir Authur Conan Doyle
Number of Pages: 250





Sir Henry has been absent for most of the time duing the day, but why? I mean what could be so important that he asks Dr.Watson to not follow him around because he must do it alone? That is something Dr.Watson will find out.  "I'll be of now to attend my duties, Watson. I will be back shortly after dawn" said Sir Henry. Of course, this leaves Watson in suspicion, so he decides to follow Sir Henry. He sees him entering the Stapleton home and shortly leaving with Beryl. They go for a walk, holding eachothers hands. This of course leaves Watson completly surprised, but where is the beauties brother Jack? After twenty minutes or so, Watson decides to sit down, while he watches the love birds walk in front of him, paying so much attention to eachother that they do not even notice Dr.Watson behind them, looking straight at them. Not even five minutes has past since Watson had sat down to take a rest when he sees Jack Stapleton approaching the couple. They start getting into a fight, not physicallly but you could hear them yelling at eachother. Watson decides to not interfere, since Sir Henry was not meant to know that Watson had followed him. After observing them behind the tree, he starts heading back home once he sees that the fight has ended, and Beryl has taken he beloved brothers side... When Henry returns home, he sees that Watson has been acting strange, and Sir Henry assumes it is because Watson had followed him. They talk about everything that happened and Sir Henry reveals that he had been planning to make Beryl Stapleton his lawfully wedded wife, but she said she must take time to think about the proposal, since she is not sure which side she will take, her brothers or Sir Henry's. The next day, Dr.Watson and Sir Henry decided to stay awake until three a.m. to see weather or not Barrymore will go to the window in the other room, with the candle. That night, they fall asleep around one, but the next day the hear someone around three and it is Barrymore. They follow him to the room and confront him with the window and the candle, and to there surpise Barrymoore tells the truth. He tells them that he has been sending signals to a escaped prisoner, who is his brother-in-law to tell him that the food is ready. Watson and Henry try to the murderer whose name is Selden, but they are unsuccesful when they here the sound of a hound, they return home in fear that they will get attacked by the ferocious hound. Since they had not fired Barrymore, for going behind their backs about the escaped criminal, Barrymore helps them. He tells them that he had found a letter from someone whose name initials, first and last, begin with a L. Barrymore knows this because he had found a letter that said to Sir Charles to meet her in front of the gates of the moor around 10 p.m. and to burn this letter once it was read. Below of the writing, the paper was sighned "L.L." Watson asks Mortimer if he knew anyone with the initials "L.L" and he said yes, her name was Laura Lyons. 

Be sure to read my next blog post to find out Laura Lyons has to do with the death of our beloved heir, Sir Charles. 

So, I hope you enjoyed my this weeks catch up on the book... Now its time we move on to the setting.

The setting of the novel "The Hound of the Baskervilles" begins in London, with the visit of Dr.Mortimer. Many things happen in London, such as the incident with the cab driver, and where the main character Sherlock Holmes spent most of time in the book. The second setting is Baskerville Hall. Baskerville Hall is described as a place where the envirorment and nature is truly beautiful, but the moor is the place why most people choose to leave. If the text took place in a different setting, the text would completley change. It would change because Sir Charles would not have died, he could have lived somewhere else, where the hound did not live. Watson and Holmes would not have a crime to work on, so there would not even be a book or a story. I crave for the time I can finally go to London, I mean it's my dream! So I would for sure want to travel to London, but as for Baskerville Hall, defineltly not! I mean, there is a escaped criminal that lives on the moor and he can kill me, and then there is a scary hound that can also kill me, If I was looking to get killed, Baskerville Hall would be my first choice, but since i'm not looking to get killed, I would gladly stay in Belgrade.

 Here is a part of the story that includes evidence of the setting:


   Sir Henry and Dr.Mortimer were ready upon the appointed day, and we started as aranged for Devonshire. Mr.Sherlock Holmes drove me to the station and gave me his last parting injunctions and advice. 
"I will not bias your mind by suggesting theories or suspicions, Watson," said he; "I wish you simply to report facts in the fullest most possible manner to me, and you can leave me to do the theorizing." 
"What sort of facts?" I asked. 
" Anything which may seem to have a bearing however indirect upon the case, and especially the relations between young Baskerville and his neighbors or any fresh particulars concering the death of Sir Charles. I have made so inquires myself in the last few days, but the results have, I fear, been negative. 
- Page 78, Chapter 6


That was a part from the book and it is a dialogue between Watson and Holmes, it shows that Watson is leaving London to go to Baskerville Hall.


I hope you all enjoyed my blog post, and I hope you look forward to reading it next Saturday. Have a nice Monday!

-Marija Bogdanovic, 7A









4 comments:

  1. Wow Marija you never cease to amaze me with your devotion to making brilliant blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic details your blog post was amazing and the amount of writing wow.
    Thomas Wallman

    ReplyDelete